Thursday, July 14, 2016

My Rant - continued 2 ...

A few more fund companies have got back to me. And, I've discovered a few more that are investing in companies that produce cluster munitions.

Also, even though I have requested the current government's position on whether or not investing in cluster munitions is illegal for Canadians, I'm not sure if I have much hope of the answer I would like.

The following article is one of the more complete ones I have come across recently -

Canadian firms invested in US cluster bomb makers, report says

Anyway, one of the larger fund companies in Canada responded to me saying they are compliant even though at least one of their funds holds an investment in a cluster munitions maker. I asked them to please put that in writing for me. They refused! What does that say about their convictions on how "compliant" they are?!

I have also discovered that some asset management firms (mutual fund managers) that are signatories to the UNPRI  also have holdings in cluster munitions producers. What does it actually mean to these investment management companies to be a signatory to PRI and yet still make this kind of investment? Are we just "ticking a box" now? Where's the commitment?

Yesterday's Walk - 5:55am; 5.3kms; 53mins; 17c & humid; clear

Today's Run - 6:05am; 5.9kms; 46mins; 22c, humid - and then it rained on me starting when I was furthest from my end point!

No comments: