Wednesday, July 6, 2016

My Rant

Okay, we're going off topic. But, this is something that grates on me.

Have you ever trusted someone that you thought would act properly and then suddenly caught them acting in a way that goes against your nature or values?

Well, that has happened to me recently.

PAX [ www.paxforpeace.nl ] released an update of their "Worldwide Investments in Cluster Munitions - a shared responsibility" in June, 2016. A couple of Canadian financial institutions were named/shamed. I did additional research (PAX had a minimum investment size for their report - I had none) and found more Canadian mutual funds that invested in a company that produces cluster munitions. Some of these fund companies I deal with.

I originally asked them informally about those investments. The responses I received were "disappointing". I have now asked for more official responses.

Why?

Because, in my opinion - based on the wording of the "Convention on Cluster Munitions" (signed by Canada in 2008), "Bill C-6 [2013-2014] An Act to Implement the Convention on Cluster Munitions" (passed by Canada's Parliament in 2014 and effective September 1, 2015), and the comments of various Members of Parliament and Ministers of the Crown during the passage of The Act through Parliament - investing in companies that manufacture cluster munitions is an illegal activity for Canadians.

We'll see how this progresses. Regardless, adhering to the "letter of the law" rather than the "spirit of the law" just to try to make a buck - especially on this issue - pisses me off!


Today's Walk - 6:05am; 5.4kms; 54mins; 17c; partly cloudy

No comments: