Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Part of trying to "get into shape", now that I am 60, is losing weight. I'm a short male - 5'4"/165cm. At one time, probably around 10 years ago, I weighed 210lbs/95.5kg. However, more recently (last couple of years) I have been around 190lbs/86kg. And, most recently (within the past 6 months) I was about 180lbs/81kg but frequently bounced up to around 185lbs/84kg.

I made a pledge to my youngest daughter (the giver of the Jawbone UP MOVE) that I would lose about 8 lbs by my birthday - when it was still 7 weeks away. That should have been relatively simple. Just starve myself (I was hoping to get down to 170lbs/77kg). Well, I failed. My biggest problem is snacking at night in front of the television. While we haven't had cable TV in years, I do have a selection of DVDs. And, of course, there's always Netflix.

Also, I have recently discovered that, while I do not have Celiac disease, I do appear to have a sensitivity to gluten. Eliminating gluten from my diet has contributed to an overall improvement in my general level of health. Also, since gluten is off my list, grocery shopping has changed and I am no longer tempted to buy snacks that, while tasty, are not necessary and definitely not a good idea. The only problem is potato chips are gluten-free! ... I'm working on it!

So, I got down to 173lbs/78.5kg by my birthday. Today, I am 172lbs.78kg. And, while I'm not to an ideal weight, I am no longer obese based on my BMI - and, my clothes don't fit properly anymore!

Today was a walk day - 6.1kms; 59.5mins.; temp 13c; slight breeze

No comments: