Friday, June 3, 2016

The passing of a particular decade in terms of age never really meant that much to me. Instead, the significant birthdates were: 16 (driver's licence), 18 (vote), and 19 (legally consume alcohol). After that, they were not significant - turning 20, 30 , 40  or even 50 didn't seem that important.

That probably changed for the first time when I turned 55. I went and got my motorcycle licence. I hadn't ridden since I was a kid. And, back then it was just a mini-bike.

The approach of 60 seemed to hit me different - and, I'm not sure why.

I mentioned "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, M.D. in an earlier post. The book is almost 10 years old now. I don't remember hearing about it back then. Or, even if I had, it probably would not have made any difference. Today, however, I think it is a great book. Chris' writing is both entertaining and inspirational.

So, here I am - a 60 year old, 5'4", 172lb (and getting lighter) white male trying to reset myself, physically and mentally, for the next 1/3 of my life.

Today was a walk day - 5.3kms; 53mins., temp 12c, clear sky.

No comments: